Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!





I don't have a family member who is a soldier, nor do I have a real close friend who is in the service right now, yet every time I watch one of these videos, I sob.  I ball like a baby.  Seeing that mother greet her son, or the little girl crying when she unexpectedly realizes that her very own hero is standing in the room with her is at once heartbreaking, yet poignant and beautiful.  The mother in me completely relates to the emotion from both the perspective of a mother (because I am one) and a daughter (because I have four).  

Watching videos like these reminds me of another experience in my life.  There is an army base established right on the outskirts of our town.  Last year, troops came home by the busload.  Hoards of people stood out on sidewalks waving flags, holding their hands to their hearts, and saluting these men and women who sacrificed so that we (and the rest of America for that matter) could stand on those sidewalks and wave our flags.

It was incredible, momentous even, and in that very instance, I felt so proud to be an American - so proud that we have men and women who are willing to sacrifice their very lives.  Not only are they willing to literally give up their life at any moment to a rogue bomb, or gunfire, but they are also willing to give up moments of their life that are truly fleeting.  Some of these men and women have babies and then boom, they are gone for a year or more.  They lose some of the most precious moments of parenthood because they love their country.

The day those men and women came home loaded on buses, I cried too.  How could I not?  All those soldiers, all their sacrifices, and all our love for a country where freedoms and privileges abound.  If you haven't already, take a moment and remember what's been forfeited for you.

Thank you, to the servicemen and women for giving up so much of their lives for us!  Happy Memorial Day.

4 comments:

Betsy Henning said...

Wonderful description. I feel the same when watching those reunion videos or seeing a parade. Lump-in- the-throat moments!

Betsy Henning said...

Oh, and...this video collection is way beyond lump-in-the-throat. Yep it's an out right sob inducer! (Thanks for sharing.)

Meg said...

You are right.

We are in always under obligation to all those family who have send their SON or lovedones in the way of saving Motherland. They risk their life so that we leave in PEACE.
This is call meaningful life with full of sacrifies.

I feel very PROUD for them.

Bathroom Suites

Lisa Vella said...

Me too, Meg! Thanks for stopping by!