Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday's Writing Tidbits

Writer's block? Well, yes, I have to admit I have a touch of this dreaded writing dilemma. It's not that I don't want to write. Why just this morning I woke up with the sun shining in through my bedroom window, and I felt so inspired I took my handy dandy notepad and half cup of coffee out to my back patio to do some writing. I wanted desperately to pour my heart out onto the paper and write something eloquent and worthwhile! I couldn't get started. I think we all have days when writer's block gets us, so here are a few tips on overcoming it when it strikes:

(1)
Get up and move somewhere different. Writing from a new spot may help renew your creative juices and help you view things from a new perspective.

(2) Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Start out with fun writing--like freewriting or journaling. These are great opportunities to both come up with new ideas, and to get rid of the stuff that's cluttering up your mind.

(3) Get focused. After you've found yourself a new sweet spot, and gotten a chance to do some fun writing, direct your attention to what you really want or need to write and then, as that clever Nike slogan says, "Just do it!" Start writing and you will be amazed at what you can get accomplished!

What's your most useful advice to overcoming writer's block?

No comments: