Tuesday, May 29, 2007

You Know You're a Writer When...

This past weekend I came to the realization that either I am a crazy person or I am just a normal writer. Here is a list that might determine if you are a writer.

You know you're a writer when:


(1) You go to bed and you dream about your writing projects or all the potential articles you can write.

(2) You are constantly thinking about your next article, journal entry, or blog post.

(3) You frequently find yourself scrounging for any piece of paper, napkin, or envelope to write your ideas down before you forget them.

(4) You find those scraps of paper, napkins, or envelopes everywhere - in your glove box, your purse, on your desk, in your junk drawer...you get the point!

(5) When every little thing your children, spouse, or dog does is a potential story or article being developed in your mind.

(6) When you go to deliver the water bill and find notes written on the envelope. You quickly scribble the notes on another scrap, shrug your shoulders, and deliver the bill!

Based on my very own set of standards, perhaps I am a writer after all. What are some of your "You know you're a writer when..." standards?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yea! You're definitely a normal writer... or else, I'm a crazy person too! I can't even begin to count how many times I ran to grab a paper to keep note something my husband said or did that I thought would make a great story. :)

Unknown said...

"You know you're a writer when..

....You're 21, and you'd MUCH rather go to a coffee shop and writer or talk books, than go to a bar..."

Oh, and I'm always thinking "oh, that's a blog post idea," too!

It's a crazy way of thinking...but I love it!

truly,

Sylvia C.

Unknown said...

I hate it when I make a typo in comments.

It drives me bonkers!

I meant "write or talk books"

But I'm sure you all knew that!
;)

S.

Lisa Vella said...

Meena, when I was younger I thought being published made you a writer. Now that I am a little older and slightly wiser, I realize that it's the motivation, ambition, and this crazy internal drive that really defines a true writer. I'm glad you could relate!

Sylvia, we wouldn't be true writers if we didn't make typos, now would we? LOL. Don't worry! It bugs me when I do it too!

As for the coffee shop, I would love to be able to do that some day - maybe when my children are older. But I still choose to spend Friday nights typing away to going out to bars - still a common activity for many 30 year olds!

I hope you both have a fantastic night!

Harmony said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only mom to spend Friday (and Saturday) evenings writing :)

Anonymous said...

I'm also glad to know it's not just me that spends their weekend nights writing! I thought maybe I was getting old....but nope, I'm just a writer.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to most of these!

Lisa Vella said...

Yup! We're all writers!

I hope everyone enjoys their weekends!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa
This is a great roundup. I think writers are also word collectors.

If I hear an interesting word I haven't used or heard for a long time, I write it down or try to use it so I remember it.

Anonymous said...

You know you are a writer when you really open your heart, for the world to see its beauty, and then sip the beauty of the world at your turn, to fill your soul with wonders...