Saturday, March 24, 2007

Happy Saturday!

It’s Saturday morning. I’m sitting on my love seat while my blanket and my laptop keep me warm. My girls are cozied up on the other couch together, watching Saturday morning cartoons. I drink my morning cup of coffee out of my favorite “Lisa” mug that a dear friend gave me for my birthday. I realize that life is good. I am writing. I am thinking about what I have accomplished this week. I am thinking about what I want to accomplish in the week to come.

I’m going to be honest with you. Thursday was not a good day for me as a writer. It began as a lovely day. As you may recall the sun was shining and I felt inspired, but let’s just say the words were not exactly flowing from my fingertips. I felt discouraged and as though maybe I didn’t have anything worth saying. I blogged anyway.

Last night I received an email from Nancy Friedman of Away With Words. She is writing an article for Visual Thesaurus about why people blog. She came across my “Am I Talking to You” meme and thought my post was “pertinent” to her article. She also passed along a very nice compliment about my writing. She said her coming upon that post was “…a timely discovery indeed.” I chuckle at that because perhaps it was timelier for me! Thank you Nancy! You visited me at just the right time.

What I find most interesting about blogging is that just when I am feeling like my words don’t matter, someone drops me a thoughtful and encouraging comment. What a pick me up! I want my writing to make a difference in some way. If I pass along something that someone may find interesting or useful or offer someone some encouragement then I feel I have accomplished what I have set out to do. Of course, I have to admit there is a side that is a bit self-serving as well.

So that’s my Saturday morning message. I debated whether to share that vulnerable moment with you. I try to maintain an upbeat attitude on my blog, but really don't we all have those days? There’s no point in pretending that I don’t have them too. God has a way of working things out in intricate and meaningful ways for all of us. Now that's exciting!

See ya next time and have a happy Saturday!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lisa,

I do that sometimes, too. I think: should I share this?

I think it shows how "real" we are, though. And if it means needing a tad bit of encouragement, so be it!

I know for sure that some days are better than others in this business, too.

But, then it's enough for me to know that I am improving my craft and meeting excellent (real) friends along the way!

truly,

Sylvia C.

Kathy@TheFlawlessWord said...

Lisa, I think this is the type of post Carson was urging you to include every now and then. Your optimism is contagious, but by sharing your vulnerable moments as well, you become more "real" to your readers. I'm glad you decided to give us a glimpse into the deeper Lisa. We do all have those days and knowing others do too makes them that much more endurable.

Betsy Henning said...

To know you is to love you, Leese. So, the more you share, the more beloved you'll be to your readers.

How about the weather today?!? Gorgeous, huh? I hope you found time to enjoy it. Now, back to the grindstone!

Bets